Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In the End is a New Beginning

So I am at the end. I have exactly one day left in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the German town I have called home for the last 13 months of my life. And boy, has it been a roller-coaster! I started out HATING it...and now I'm a little bit scared to leave. Over the past year I have learned a lot about people, and even more about myself. I have learned some of my weaknesses, and also some of my greatest strengths. I have seen a lot more of the world, and I am much better for it. I thought I would make a short list of the things I will miss, as well as some of the things I will NOT miss. I'll start with the things I am going to miss the most-

1. People-I have made some incredible friends here, and I hope that I can stay in touch with all of them for the rest of my life. I have been truly blessed by their friendships here in Germany!

2. Food-Bakeries especially, but also chocolate, Schnitzel, and many other European delights!

3. Walking everywhere- Colorado Springs and most other big cities in the west have very little public transport, and it's impossible to walk everywhere. I have loved being able to get anywhere without a car!

And now some things I will not miss-

1. Drunk People- I'm pretty sure it's a German hobby to see how drunk you can get at any point in the day.

2. Beer- the smell of it, how it transforms people from normal to stupid in one pint flat, how it is such a huge part of the culture here.

3. The two hour commute to church- Woof.

I am so grateful for the experience of living in Europe, and getting to travel so much. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to broaden my horizons a little bit more, and learn so much. I hope that the next chapter in my life will continue to help me learn and grow, and that I can be an influence for good wherever I might be!

1 comment:

  1. Sam I am so proud of you for your experience in Germany! I can't believe that it has been over a year that we were in school together! Have a safe trip home and then come to Utah!

    ReplyDelete