Thursday, July 12, 2012

Random Ramblings

I am now 28 1/2 days from being married. How crazy is that? It's even crazier how time works when you are so excited/nervous/ecstatic. I find that my days move slowly, but my weeks are gone in a flash. It seems like I wake up on Monday, and then suddenly I'm waking up on Friday. The middle just doesn't exist. Which is weird, because I can look back and although I know what I did each week, I feel like I did it all in one weird middle-space. Not the three weekdays that come between Monday  and Friday.

Now you all think I'm crazy.

Which is probably true.

But still. Time is a fickle thing. It goes too quickly when you want to take it slow, and too slowly when you would give anything for it to speed up.

Take car trips for another example. Whenever I drive somewhere, it seems like it take hours longer to get there than it does to get home. Even smaller trips seem that way. Especially if I am driving somewhere new. It's weird.

At the same time, there are some things that happen so fast but feel like they took forever. Like me and my awesomely handsome fiance. We met in February. February 13th, to be exact. Only one month later, on March 16th, we became a couple. Considering we had only been on four dates, that was pretty quick in my book. We were engaged on May 8th. We're getting married on August 10th. So from the time we met to the time we are married we will have known each other for six months. SIX MONTHS. And yet it feels like I have known him my whole life. I am closer to him than I have ever been to anyone, and I can't imagine my life without him. And yet I have actually only known him such a short time!

Sometimes I wonder if Heavenly Father laughs to think about how much His children misunderstand time and the rules that apply to it. And just misunderstand things in general. I know I am constantly staggered by the thought of how little I know about everything in this world. It's all so fascinating (well...except math. That not so much.), and I hope I get to continue learning and exploring. I'm sure the more I learn, the more I will understand how much there is left to learn. But that won't keep me from finding out all I can.

I have this fascination with watching travel shows. I have done a fair bit of traveling myself, but there is still so much left to see. There are so many amazing places on the planet, I can't imagine anyone not wanting to explore as much of it as possible. I'm sure some of you know what I'm talking about. Some people call it the "Travel Bug". I'm pretty sure I caught something a bit more severe. Like the "Travel Flu" or the "Travel Fever" or something. It's not a little bug. It's a full-blown passion. I was always amazed by the friends I had in Germany that did all of their shopping at the US grocery store (or Commissary, if you are familiar with the lingo) and only made friends with other Americans. I feel like they missed out on some of the most amazing food, culture, and people. Germans are some of the most generous, kind, hardworking, and interesting people I have ever met. They are so much fun, and I have several friends in Germany that I can't wait to go back and see.

The world is made up of so many incredible people. In all of my traveling, I have learned that people make the place. Places are beautiful by themselves, like Paris and Barcelona, but the people make it incredible. Some of my favorite places became my favorite because of the people I met there. In Edinburgh, our tour guide through the city was so fun and enthusiastic it just made the trip amazing. Our guide on the bus to Loch Ness was also just awesome. In Rome, I met a few families that went on tours with me and a couple of girls at my hostel that really made my trip amazing.

Of course, those places are fascinating with their history and the beauty of the country. But the people I met brought them to life. And the more I met people, the more I realized how much our Heavenly Father loves them. Growing up, I always thought I was special. On of the "elite" because I happened to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. I was better than other people, and they deserved to be pitied. I didn't understand at all. In fact, I am ashamed that I ever felt that way. Because it isn't true. It absolutely isn't true. People are amazing. Every person ever born on this earth has just as much worth as everyone else. And the more I learn about the gospel, the more I understand just how much Heavenly Father loves His children. Not just the ones that know and accept Him and the sacrifice of His Son. But ALL of them. Every person who has ever lived and will live is an individual to Him. As much as that blows my mind, I know it's true. I know that His capacity for loving His children is not limited by our ability to understand it.

And now I'm getting a little bit deep. So I'll stop for now.
I hope you enjoyed my random ramblings. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment