Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bear Lake Reunion

So this whole last week I have been in Utah. Why? Because Utah is where the love of my life is going to school, and this weekend we had a reunion. It was a lot of fun! So, like I once did for my European travel posts, I thought I might chronicle this trip day by day. Here goes!

Day 1: I left early on Tuesday, July 24th. I drove all day, only stopping for gas, and made it to Provo at around 6pm. It was a fairly uneventful drive, and I made good time. I met up with Thomas, hung out with him for a bit, ate some Brick Oven pizza, and then went to my friend Katy's apartment for the night.

Day 2: I woke up refreshed, and got ready for the day. I had a job interview, so I put on my snazzy clothes and headed out to find breakfast. I got lost finding breakfast, so I just went straight to Thanksgiving Point where I had my interview later that day. I was three hours early. So I went and got some food, and sat out in the grass. I was also tasked with finding a storage unit for Thomas and I to put our stuff in until we could move into our new apartment in Provo. I figured all of that out and continued waiting for an acceptable time to go find the woman I was being interviewed by. I wandered around Thanksgiving Point, did some window shopping, and finally went to the interview. It went well, I think, and so I proceeded to wander back to Provo and waited for Thomas to get off work. We made some dinner, went for some frozen yogurt, and then I once again headed to Katy's.

Day 3: I woke up late  and just chilled out until Thomas was done with classes for the day. Of course, I was cheating with Katy and ended up being late meeting p with him. We hit the road and made it to Woodruff, Utah by late afternoon. We were camping in Bear lake, not far from Woodruff, for the next few days, but he wanted to show me his Grandparent's  ranch before we went. We drove around, looking at everything. It was fun to see where he spent his childhood. We headed down to Bear Lake
And found the family at the local KOA camp ground. I set up my tent and got everything situated, and met the family. Of course, I didn't remember half of the names that first night, but I tried my best! We all went to a local burger stand for dinner, and the raspberry shakes were amazing!  We sat around the propane fire for a few hours talking, then I went to bed. Thomas set up a cot outside next 
to my tent, but by the time he went to bed, the wind was howling and it was raining, so he ended up sleeping in his car. Poor guy!

Day 4: I woke up early and talked a bit with some of the Aunts and Grandma. Eventually, we began cooking breakfast and Thomas woke up. We all ate breakfast and then headed down to the lake. It
was a blast! We rode jet skis, played in the water, and sat in the shade. It was a blissful day, and I only applied sunscreen four times...;) I should have put more on Thomas, as he got a nice amount of sunburn on his legs and shoulders. We all went back to camp around 6pm and had dinner, which consisted of slow-cooked beef, scalloped potatoes, and corn. It was so good! After dinner we roasted marshmallows for s'mores and taked a bit more. We set up Thomas's cot again, and this time the weather was pleasant enough to stay the night outside.

Day 5: We all woke up later in the morning, as pretty much everyone but me had a nice sunburn. We ate some breakfast and again headed down to the lake. We got there just in time to get the last good
spot on the beach, and Thomas and I went out on a jet ski. It was a lot of fun to be together out in the middle of the lake, away from the family, and just take a break. We spent the day much like we did the day before, swimming, playing on jet skis, and lounging. The only moment of panic happened when all three of our sun shades got picked up by a random gust of wind, upended on our neighbor's shade, and destroyed it! We felt really bad, but there was nothing we could do about it. As the crash had also taken out a couple of our shades. So the day ended pretty early, and we headed back to break down camp. After dinner and a family picture, we put away the tents and sleeping bags and all 
headed back to the ranch in Woodruff. There we showered and parted ways. Thomas and the rest of his family (including me, of course) stayed the night there, with the intention of leaving the next day, his family for Colorado, and us back to Provo.

Day 6: His family hit the road early, and we kind of just lazed around for a bit. When we decided to leave, we loaded up and headed out. About eight or ten miles down the road, the car died. It just
stopped working. It would turn over, but you couldn't accelerate at all, and then it would die. We were stuck. So we called a tow truck, and got towed back to the ranch. There is a small repair shop close by, and we dropped the car and then Grandpa came and picked us up. Since the shop wouldn't open until the next day, we just resigned ourselves to leaving the car situation until the next day. 


Day 7:  We were awoken by Grandpa early the next morning asking if we would like to help with the cattle drive that day. Of course we both said yes. So we got all geared up and left with a trailer full of trusty steeds. When we got to the location, Grandpa, Thomas, and I mounted up and set out to round up the cattle. Thomas and I found the herd and the other herders and helped as best we could. We drove the cattle about a mile from where the were, and neither Thomas nor I got in the way. We were helpful, I think. Of course, being in the saddle for the first time in years did take it's toll on both of us, but the soreness we knew we would face that night and the next few days was totally worth the trip! When we got back to the ranch, we were exhausted. We got some lunch, found out that the car was fixed, and went and picked it up. Once again, we headed out, but not before I sprained my foot. Which was annoying. But the car ran perfectly and brfore long we were back in Provo. We went to see our new apartment, which is wonderful, and then parted ways. That is the last time I will get to see him until the wedding. It was a great trip, all things considered, and though it ended with a broken down car, we did have the very fun experience of helping with a cattle drive because of it. So I would count that as a success. ;) 


So that's the story! Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I seem to forget I own a camera a lot. I will have to rectify that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment